Subject: Re: pcvt and TIOCCONS
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/1996 14:26:10
> Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 13:57:06 -0400
> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>

> > CGD suggested that we implement something like the /etc/fbtab
> > feature from SunOS (but with more generality).
>
> Progbably good, but what you are proposing isn't that much more
> general. It seems like the only change from SunOS is that you don't
> permit stacking of multiple : separated device names on a single line,
> and that you aren't specifying that the group of the devices be
> changed in any way. In what way is what you are doing more general?

Oh, well, I guess it's the same as SunOS then (no more general).
Feel free to propose generalizations.

I didn't see any reason for having multiple "related devices" on the
same line, and would rather avoid any unnecessary syntax complexity.
However, if people like it, I won't argue against it.

> Also, there is no way to specify the user and group (or at least the
> group) that the devices be set to, and there is no way to specify the
> permissions the permissions and ownership of the devices
> should be after logout. I'm not sure the latter is needed but at the
> very least we should decide what group the devices should be set
> to. SunOS sets them to the same user and group as the login device...

After login, the UID and GID are always the UID and primary GID of
the new login session, and the modes would be as specified in the
/etc/ttygroup file.  After logout (next getty) the UID/GID would be
root/wheel, and the permissions restrictive (0600).

> > So, that's how I think it should work.  Does this sound OK?
> > Are there any volunteers to make login and getty do this?
>
> Do both of them have to do it, or just one of them? Perhaps a utility
> library routine should be written to do the job...

Sure, the implementation should use a new function in libutil
or something like that.  We're still working on the functional
specification, so it's too early to worry about the design spec.

Gordon