Subject: Re: More stuck in D state woes
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/1996 12:39:57
On Apr 8, 10:21am, Rob Healey wrote:
> Subject: More stuck in D state woes
>
> 	The problem with processes being stuck in D state, probably due
> 	to NFS directory reading, appeared sometime between March 26th and
> 	April 7th sup tree as my March 26th kernel doesn't do the evil
> 	deed but my April 7th kernel does it in spades... B^(.
>
> 	Hope this helps a little bit to those who are trying to track
> 	it down. Since I'm running on an Amiga and not and x86 or SPARC it
> 	would appear the problem is in MI code and would thus probably effect
> 	most if not all ports. B^(.

Hmm, the arm32 port is suffering from processes sticking in a disk wait which
has been traced to vflushbuf waiting on a vnode with I/O pending (possibly
spuriously). A fsck -d following this seems to indicate that the indirect block
address of an inode is wrong (this can show up as a bad inode type). This had
been assumed to be a port-specific problem. Does this sound like the same
problem to anyone who is an expert on such things?

Cheers

Rob Black