Subject: Re: PROBLEMS WITH GCC 2.7.2/I386 ON APPLICATIONS
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/1996 23:32:54
>	Hello folks.  There has been quite a bit of talk about the optimization
>code in gcc 2.7.2 and its guilt in a number of problems compiling and using
>the kernel.  I am having problems, which appear to be gcc related, and am
>wondering if this gcc 2.7.2 bug is more serious than we first thought.
>	I have an application which works fine if all optimization is turned
>off, but which gets its function return values screwed up if -O or -O and
>-fstrength-reduce are turned on.  The problem seems to be some code in the
[...]
>	Perhaps it would be useful either to change the default compilation
>flags, or to look at backing up several revs of gcc in the distribution.

I won't say that it undeniably isn't broken, but I haven't seen any
evidence of this.  I have rebuilt my entire NetBSD system (all of
/usr/src and kernels), several generations over, with "-O6 -m486
-fno-strength-reduce -pipe" as my build options on everything, and my
machine is running just great.

Like I said, I won't deny there might be a hidden bug.  But, I
certainly am not seeing it exhibited.  Are you sure you've narrowed it
down to a compiler bug, and not a hardware problem, or something
similar?

FWIW, this is a 486, with sources last supped on April 4th, at 22:47
PST.

               Sun4/4c/4m, DEC MIPS, DEC Alpha, PC532, VAX...