Subject: Re: easy ways to crash your NetBSD system
To: None <woods@planix.com>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/1996 16:05:52
> [ On Tue, April  9, 1996 at 13:49:45 (-0700), Erik E. Fair wrote: ]
>> Subject: Re:  easy ways to crash your NetBSD system
>>
>> The paper is a two or three pager (undated) entitled "On the Security of
>> UNIX" by Dennis M. Ritchie, and the first copy I read came with the 7th
>> Edition UNIX distribution.  I read it on the manual rack in Cory Hall at
>> U.C. Berkeley in late 1980.  There was an nroff source around for a long
>> time in /usr/doc in the distributions, and it is still found in the 4.3 BSD
>> manual set that USENIX published: SMM:17
>
> Ah, thank-you!  I thought it was in the original manual, but my re-print
> from University does't include Volume 2 [...]

You mean you don't still have your green children's block book?!?!?

*Grabs face with hands in mock horror*

It's right there on pages 592-594.  (*High-fives Eric for good memory cells*)

(For anyone who's never seen the "green children's block book", I'm of course
 refering to "UNIX Programmer's Manual, Seventh Edition, Volume 2", published
 by Holt, Rinehart & Winston, ISBN 0-03-061743-X.)

	- Greg