Subject: Re: .nfs files with old NFS?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@teeri.jmp.fi>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/1996 16:20:12
Quoting Jukka Marin,

> NFS server: i386 running a 960210 kernel
> NFS client: Sparc running a 960210 kernel

> On client:

> jmarin@pyy src/port %(123)rm -rf nn-6.5.0.b3
> rm: nn-6.5.0.b3: Directory not empty
> jmarin@pyy src/port %(124)la nn-6.5.0.b3
> total 16
> drwx------   2 jmarin  wheel   3584 Apr 10 14:32 .
> drwx------  25 jmarin  wheel   1536 Apr 10 14:30 ..
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 jmarin  wheel  10204 Apr 10 14:25 .nfsA0e604.4

> I have seen this twice now.  If I log on the server and do rm there, I get
> rid of the files, but if I do rm on the client, the files don't go away.

Are you sure you haven't got one file somewhere in that tree still open
on the client?

Yes, there recently was a problem with a lot of these 'silly files'
sticking around, but that was introduced after 960210, and fixed
a couple of weeks ago. Besides, that problem wasn't even NFS-related,
NFS just exposed the problem more quickly.

- Frank