Subject: Re: Is gcc slow? Or is our gcc slow?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/1996 07:35:36
>> gcc puts its temporary files in /var/tmp...
> I believe that reason is that /var on most sane systems% has more
> space into which to shove those temporary files than does /tmp, even
> if /tmp happens to be its own filesystem.

> % Your definition of "sane" may vary; I usually allocate /tmp as MFS
>   myself, and /var is usually 24M or more for a typical machine,

But dumping those files into /var/tmp - indeed, even having /var/tmp on
/var at all - has one major lose: it means that any person, or runaway
program, can run you flat out of space on /var.  This then means that
lots of things start breaking, and most of them can't log anything
since their logfiles are normally on /var.

Personally, I (a) torch the clean-/tmp-on-reboot code in /etc/rc*, and
(b) make /usr/tmp and /var/tmp symlinks to /tmp.  Oh, and (c) set up a
cronjob to clean out /tmp periodically.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu