Subject: Re: Is gcc slow? Or is our gcc slow?
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 04/09/1996 21:55:45
	To add my own to this argument, I think that we could benifit
from a set of makefiles that took a commandline like the following:

make CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc XCFLAGS=-pipe XTRAOBJ=myfunc.o

	Where I work, most of our makefiles would take this to mean
that we should compile with the different compiler (it's often how we
invoke purify), add -pipe to the other default CFLAGS and add the
object 'myfunc.o' to the compile list (this is more useful in a single
program build than a global one).

	This would allow us to taylor the build for each maachine we
use very easily (it could also be used to specify build and source
directories).

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |