Subject: Re: Is gcc slow? Or is our gcc slow?
To: None <>
From: Curt Sampson <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/09/1996 17:45:36
On Tue, 9 Apr 1996 wrote:

> Why is -O in the system makefiles?

Because it won't seriously inconvenience any of the machines that
NetBSD runs on? There are a fair number of Sun 3/50s out there (I
should know--I own five of them :-)) and, while those in search of
better performance will probably think of putting -pipe in first
thing, those who are not and are trying to get a system up and
running on one of the smaller machines may be excused for not
checking to see if -pipe is there and removing it if it is.

> "Convenient way" means you have to know this missing option and hack the
> system.

And having to know of the option and hack the system if you don't
want -pipe is more convenient?

> MFS is really stupid. You are wasting resources for the most of time.

No, the point is that you are *not* wasting resources for most of
the time. Most of the time /tmp has almost nothing in it. Therefore
you can use that memory for other things. When /tmp does fill up,
it uses free memory first, and then goes to swap.

> "/tmp" and "/var/tmp" are stupid at all. Common temporary resources for
> all users are the best way to produce problems.

So you think that on a 24-user system giving each user 1 MB of his
own scratch space is better than just assigning a 24 MB shared pool?

> If there is just one user who made a mistake and allocates the entire
> space, then other users are not able to compile their program (and most
> don't know why).

Yes, much better that none of the users can compile their program in the
first place because there isn't enough space to begin with.

Curt Sampson		Info at
Internet Portal Services, Inc.