Subject: Re: long hostnames in utmp
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Assar <assar@pdc.kth.se>
List: current-users
Date: 04/09/1996 14:15:55
Hi there.
 > > Either make the field variable-length or (my preference)
 >
 > Mine too.

I prefer just logging the IP-address so you perhaps misunderstood me.

 > > just log the IP-address and let last/who/whatever do the reverse mapping.
 >
 > No, that way has many disadvantages, e.g.:
 >
 > 1.) Reverse resolving is not always possible.

But then it would not be possible for telnetd either?  I believe in
that case you should just get the IP address.

 > 2.) IP address assignments may change.

That's correct.  The best would be to store both the IP-address and
the reverse mapping.  Then you see later if the address mapping has
changed.

/assar