Subject: Killing processes by name
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 04/06/1996 01:52:50
> Incidentally, I had a "friend", who is a Linux drone, try this exact
> code snippet on my machine a little over a year ago, in the late
> pre-1.0 time frame.  It did pretty much what you just described:
> everything got really sluggish, response got sporadic, I finally got a
> shell and did a mass kill of his process (I have a script that kills
> processes by name, making that part easy).

Speaking of killing processes by name, if we can replace more(1) with a
slightly hacked less(1), surely we can replace kill(1) with Jeff Forys'
skill(1) as well?  It kills by user name, tty name, etc. and so on, and is
a complete superset of kill(1).  It also comes with snice(1), a similar
analog for nice(1).  It's quite nice to be able to say "snice -15 overview"
or "skill -HUP uucico" or "skill -v -0 earle", etc.

Ref: ftp://jaguar.cs.utah.edu/pub/skill-3.6/skill-3.6@P3_tar.Z

	- Greg