Subject: Re: More on CD changers
To: Laine Stump <laine@morningstar.com>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/06/1996 01:09:25
Laine Stump <laine@morningstar.com> writes:

> Yep. I tested it today and saw about 6.5 - 7 seconds for switching times
> on the NEC 2x (MBR-7), and between 7.5 and 9 seconds switching for the
> Pioneer 4x (DRM-624x).
>
> Since the current NetBSD probe stuff causes each disk to be loaded in
> turn, [...]

Is this still the case under -current?  I removed the code to probe
CD-ROM drives at boot time for other reasons, but it should also fix
this.

> On that subject - at boottime, the probe properly identifies which slots
> have disks installed on the Pioneer, but fails to do so reliably on the
> NEC. As far as mounting, I never get an error from the Pioneer, but
> always from the NEC (the first try after inserting a disk)

Does the kernel output any messages when it fails to mount?  The sense
data would be very helpful.  (To be more blunt, I can't even begin to
look at why it does that without the sense data.)  NEC CD-ROM drives
have been known to violate the SCSI-2 spec in lame and annoying ways,
but it's possible there's something I can do about it.