Subject: Re: Is gcc slow? Or is our gcc slow?
To: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
From: Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
List: current-users
Date: 04/05/1996 09:41:55
On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Julian Bean wrote:

| I was compiling ImageMagick on my LCIII running port-mac68k.  That's a
| 25Mhz 68030 with FPU, and 12M of RAM.
|
| ImageMagick has some really monster files - this one was 10K lines long.
|
| And it took about 10 minutes.

"Luxury!"  :-)  I use James Clark's excellent SGML parser package, SP,
and I sure hope he won't release a new version any time soon...  I'm
on a 25MHz i386 with 8MB of RAM, and compiling SP takes longer than
compiling all of X11R6.1.  It takes longer than compiling the entire
NetBSD userland.  We're talking stuff like taking two hours to compile
a single source file of 10K bytes, not lines.  And no, the machine was
not doing much else at the time.

I believe it has something to do with Clark using C++, and some sort
of (mis)feature of that (mis)language called something along the lines
of autmatically generated library templates or something.  In any
case, it had the cc1plus process thrashing magnificently about in some
30 MB or so of virtual storage.  :-)

Not that I'm complaining, mind you -- this is my hobby, and I'm never
in a hurry when I play with these things.  I just had to mention this
when I saw Julian's posting...

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo