Subject: Re: easy ways to crash your NetBSD system
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@teeri.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 04/04/1996 08:45:29
> >Two easy ways to crash a NetBSD system - is it only my system or...?
> >
> >1. main(void) { while(1) fork(); }
>
> Ahhh.  The problem here is that you have main() prototyped incorrectly :-)

Argh. ;)  Originally, main() was defined to return void (when this little
program appeared in the Finnish computer wars newsgroup.  I forgot to remove
the other void. ;)

> I think a lot of Unixes lose big on this one.

I knew someone would say this.  Does this mean NetBSD shouldn't be any better?
;-)  It doesn't feel too good that any user can bring the system down any time
they want. :-(

> >2. use dd to copy data from a raw disk partition to /dev/null and set
> >   the block size to a big value (like 8 megs).
>
> What happens when you do this?

A panic.  The kernel runs out of something.  I tried increasing some constant,
but it didn't help.  (Can't remember the details any more.)

  -jm