Subject: Re: syslog.h and __attribute__
To: None <>
From: Mike Long <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/03/1996 12:22:28
>Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 02:25:47 -0800 (PST)
>From: John M Vinopal <>

>Could someone explain more about __attribute__ or whichever of the
>parts of the new syslog.h line 186 cause problems with the std gcc

christos checked in a fix for this file yesterday.

>Is there some way to avoid this problem?  I use a compiler in addition
>to the netbsd stock compiler and the idea of needing to periodically
>update it or add #ifdefs to include files makes me unhappy.

#ifndef __GNUC__ then __attribute__() should expand to nothing.  See

If your other compiler is also GCC, then I think that code that can't
be compiled with a stock gcc should *not* be present in any NetBSD
headers, unless an #ifdef specific to NetBSD's gcc is wrapped around
Mike Long <>     <URL:>
VLSI Design Engineer         finger for PGP public key