Subject: Re: gcc optimization with strength-reduce
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/03/1996 10:31:33
> Was the bug ever fixed that caused gcc 2.7.2 to lose when building
> with -O2 or higher and not using -fno-strength-reduce.  I. e. can I
> safely remove -fno-strength-reduce from my makefiles if I'm still
> using -O6 (not sure if anything even happens above 2 or 3... 6 is just
> the traditional "turbo-build" option :-).

No.  I expect that there will be a 2.7.3 release that will fix that
and a few select other bugs.

However, this codegen bug is very rare and probably won't strike your
code.  I suspect that there many, many more gcc bugs of a similar
nature exist too.  IMO, the only reason this one has got so much
exposure was it occured in the Linux kernel.

	--jtc