Subject: Re: ncurses and terminfo
To: None <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 04/03/1996 15:32:59
> From external structure terminfo would appear to be superior to termcap
> (correct me if I'm wrong), and we need something.

One problem of terminfo is that it is hard to add another kind
of capability. Look at binary format of terminfo. It is NOT
key-value pair like a termcap, but simple sequence in pre-defined order.
So that I cannot share $HOME/lib/terminfo directory between another
Operating System (Japanese vendors frequently adds their own extension
to terminfo :-<), though I can share $HOME/.termcap.

But I often think if we had termcap.local and termcap.local.db....
--
soda@sra.co.jp		Software Research Associates, Inc., Japan
(Noriyuki Soda)		   software tools and technology group