Subject: Re: ncurses and terminfo
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Long <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/02/1996 20:16:48
At 7:52 am 2/4/96, Jason Downs wrote:
>In message <>,
>        J.T. Conklin writes:
>>That was the plan, but IMO ncurses still isn't in good enough shape to
>>integrate into NetBSD.  I am tracking ncurses development, submitting
>>patches, etc.  It's getting better, and I plan on integrating it as
>>soon as I feel it's "ready".

I'm curious, what does it need in order to be "ready"?

I do know one thing that it needs: it needs to realize that Linux
shlibs != {SunOS,NetBSD,FreeBSD} shlibs.  @#$*&!! symlinks everywhere.

>ncurses is literally *filled* with messy code, and it's straight ANSI C.
>Going to ncurses would be more of a retreat for NetBSD then a move

It's also inevitable.  Bostic (if I remember correctly) has stated
that BSD curses is dead, and that ncurses is the replacement.  So if
you don't like src/lib/libcurses, get

and report any bugs you find to <>.
Mike Long <>     <URL:>
VLSI Design Engineer         finger for PGP public key