Subject: urrk... panic locking against my self
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 04/02/1996 20:38:14
Just casually reached over to my NetBSD 1.1B mac68k box to check out my
kernel config file:

root@elsie:~# more /home/src/sys/com<tab>                         20:12:17

hit tab to file name complete (yeah, I know, I meant
/home/src/sys/arch/mac68k/con<tab>, but that's not the point...)

panic: locking against myself
Stopped at _Debugger+0x6
db> trace
_Debugger(1b760,80a38,8b0e2c,0,8b0e38) + 6
_panic(80a38,707c180,7050b00,7065b60,8b0e68) + 34
_ufs_lock(8b0e60) + 64
_union_dircache(7050b00) + ea
_sys_getdirentries(706df00,8b0f88,8b0f80) + 156
_syscall(c4) + 13a
_trap0() + e
db> c
syncing disks... done

and it dumps.  On reboot, the disks had not been marked clean, but neither
had any inconsistencies.  I have the (12M) core and kernel saved in
/var/crash.

Urk!  I have never seen this before.  Admittedly I am using a kernel I just
compiled last night, but it has been working up until now (it has new
interrupt handling so my ethernet card works).  And it is only subtly
different from the others I have been using for weeks with no trouble
(admittedly, it is the first in which ethernet actually works).

/home/src has had /usr/src union mounted underneath it...  They are on
separate partitions of the same scsi disk.

Anyone seen this before?  Anyone got any ideas what it might be?  It isn't
replicable...

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |(jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk)|  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The Other Place - n. (pop.) Depending on the affiliation of the     |
|  speaker, one of Oxford, Cambridge, The House of Lords, The House of |
|  Commons, Hell.  Draw your own conclusions.                          |