Subject: Re: buslogic/adaptec conflicts
To: None <jfw@funhouse.com>
From: Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/01/1996 12:04:42
FWIW:  I talked to Theo once about his opinion on the SPARC port,
and I commented that he must _really_ like the SPARC architecture.

His reply was to the tune that the SPARC architecture stinks on ice
because of all the overhead it dedicates to register window processing
and memory management -- apparently its MM policies are quite
time-wasting, more so than most ports.  Something like 30% of its
power is dedicated to register window handling and the like.
I forget his exact wording.

This sounds more like insight than pessimism.  Okay, so $_whatever
sucks at a certain level.  I'm grateful that these people have
seen fit to try and make a system which will deal with, if not overcome,
these deficiencies.  That says something.

				--*greywolf;
--
"Well, it's _two_ drummers, and we're not marching,   *. .* *. .*  *. .*
we're dancing, but that's the general idea, yes."       v     v      v