Subject: Re: less-290 argparsing broken
To: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 04/01/1996 23:26:13
   perhaps I am missing something, but this seems annoying:

   vax@linkdead bash$ more +COMMENT
   Missing filename ("less -\?" for help)

this i think should stay as is.

   vax@linkdead bash$ more -- +COMMENT
   Missing filename ("less -\?" for help)

this is definately broken.

   vax@linkdead bash$ more ++ +COMMENT
   String is required after -+

um....

   vax@linkdead bash$ /usr/bin/more < +COMMENT
   (aha! the holy grail!)

   btw, there is this cool function, called getopt....

   Cced to "less" author, as seemed appropriate.

   It suprised me a bit to see "more" gone and "less" there... :)
   Which is not to say I don't like less; I had less compiled in
   /usr/local/bin for ages...

well, the "netbsd" more has really been a hacked less from the
beginning.  i upgraded our more(1) a while ago, by replacing it
with less 290, with a few changes to make it act like more(1)
when called more.  there are a few changes i've got on my TODO
that i haven't gotten around to yet, including making more(1)
conform to POSIX.2.