Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Peter Svensson <petersv@df.lth.se>
List: current-users
Date: 04/01/1996 09:41:15
On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, matthew green wrote:

>    If you want that, fine.  You can have it, but I see it as a waste of
>    time to support automatic installation in the /etc/rc.local world when
>    those who want to keep /etc/rc.local around are the ones who want to
>    edit /etc/rc.local manually anyway.
>
> are they ?  i'm not convinced of this, at all.
>
> i *like* having /etc/rc and /etc/rc.local, not because i
> want to edit them, but, because i *like* that i can easily
> see what is going to happen.
>
> i don't see why you think it is a waste of time to support
> a _long_ time traditional BSD syntax.  there are _many_ in
> the BSD world who simple *like* /etc/rc.  it doesn't really
> matter what their reasons are.

A few years back one might hve argued that the internet, being constantly
connected and so on, was a bad idea, and that one should stick with
tried-and-true uucp links for mail and news. And why switch to dns from
/etc/hosts? The answer is progress. Always keeping the old ways around
will lead to enormous bloat and needless consumption of resources which
could otherwise be put to good use.

A transition period seems to be a good idea to me. Makeing the state of
transition permanent seems to be somewhat less of a good idea.

Peter