Subject: /etc/rc vs init.d (again)
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@deshaw.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1996 21:57:42
Christos writes:

>I second that! It is not acceptable have the system reboot while a process
>is still trying to clean up its state... Consider database applications.

To recap from the last iteration of this (IMHO, fruitless) debate:

Add a shutdown-script hook to /sbin/init, and let that script be
responsible for shutting down processes, instead of init.
Then the new "rc-with-shutdown" and SysV stle _ARE_ duals.

There's simply no need to force a SysV init model on people
who happen to not want it, in order to gain clean  shutdowns
for those who _do_.

If we're going to have another iteration of this argument, I'd hope
that _everyone_ can take a shutdown-script-called-by-init as a
given (if not yet implemented) extension to the BSD-style  rc
script mechanism.

Arguing about anything less is just plain foolish.