Subject: ncurses and terminfo
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1996 15:42:16
At 11:38 pm 29/3/96, CHAN Yiu Wah wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I previous send out a message concerning the hang when using 2940 under
>netbsd-current. I found that the system hung at the same point whe I
>tried make build at /usr/src.
>
>===> share/termcap

Ahhh..

This reminds me.  I was fiddling around a few months ago with trying to
persuade the console on my mac68k machine to behave (its vt220 emul is
broken, because it's actually vt100... and that's not perfect, either), and
one of the suggestions was to install ncurses on my machine.  Which I did,
and it worked (although I have now removed it... long story... basically
systat doesn't compile and I didn't have time to fix it).

However, in the process, I read the ncurses README (novel idea ;-) which
states the the BSD curses maintainer has stopped work on curses, and is
suggesting BSD-systems move to ncurses and hence terminfo (and IMNSHO its
about time shells like tcsh and zsh woke up and started using terminfo and
ncurses rather than guessing at escape codes ;-( )

Does anyone have any views on NetBSD moving to ncurses (porting should be
simple) and terminfo?

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |(jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk)|  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The Other Place - n. (pop.) Depending on the affiliation of the     |
|  speaker, one of Oxford, Cambridge, The House of Lords, The House of |
|  Commons, Hell.  Draw your own conclusions.                          |