Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/30/1996 16:18:45
> i agree with this. how about you just ask the user at
> install time if they want "system V init.d" or "bsd /etc/rc"
> (or something..).

Are most installers going to be anything _but_ confused about this?

pick a default, and use it.  makes installation of packages, etc.,
much easier, etc.  If people _really know_ that they want the other,
than they and do it themselves w/o too much trouble.

I'd say that, for the majority of 'naive' uesrs out there, and for the
majority of 'large installation' users out there, 'init.d' is
definitely the right choice for the default.