Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: Greg Hudson <ghudson@mit.edu>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/30/1996 14:39:43
>Look, either address all the arguments we made in the previous round
>of discussion (/etc/init.d is messy, difficult to understand, uses
>alphabetical ordering of symlink names in a manner resembling BASIC
>GOTO statements to store configuration information, and does this all
>to simplify exactly one operation, when there are plenty of other,
>better ways to do that), or don't ressurect the argument at all.

I would welcome a suggestion that would allow both setups to be
automated by people who want to release packages.

There is only one possibility I can see that would maintain a unified
rc.local and still allow packages to munge it as needed.
	1)  write scripts to add entries with tags,
	2)  write scripts to remove entries with tags

So, considering that these are hacks at best, isn't it much easier to
just use /etc/rc.d and use cp and rm, two tools even a moron could
type if needed?

My argument was that, for your typical ``power user'' who isn't going
to want to install packages anyway, the restriction of no automatic
package installation isn't a big deal.  My belief on this is that
SOMETHING has to be done and no matter what is done SOMEONE will get
upset about it. I'd rather bother the people who know what they're
doing, not someone who looks at an error message and thinks the
computer is going to explode any minute now.

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!