Subject: Re: /etc/daily and /scratch
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/30/1996 01:14:50
> > I don't know.  I haven't heard any clear direction from core - indeed,
> > from anyone - on this matter.  I'd like to know, if anyone can say,
> > what the intended target audience for NetBSD is.
>
> I don't think it's clearly defined.  Most people currently see it as a
> research system, I think, but there is some nodding toward better "click
> and drool" support because that's where a lot of users live and a large
> user base means better development support in terms of available resources.

And, as far as "installation and administration" goes, most
researchers want, or are only willing to deal with "click and drool."

My comments, in my previous post, about "what researchers want from
their research OS" wasn't just pulled out of my hat...  I've actually
asked a fair number of researchers that i've run into at conferences
(SOSP, USENIX, etc.) over the last 6 months why they use the OSes they
use (when they're using free OSes), and that list _really_ is the list
of things that seem to be the common list of "most important stuff."

Most researchers really do appear to be "end users," just with really
weird applications...  8-)

chris