Subject: Re: Advice wanted from Sun users please (fwd)
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/1996 19:07:41
David Gilbert writes:
> 	There is a reason that he may succeed where you failed.  The
> motorola chip have much, much higher tolerances for this type of
> hackery.  If you're lucky and have a big heatsink, you can find
> motorola chips that can be overclocked 50% or more.  With intel chips,
> I've rarely heard of clock increases of more that 10-15% being
> successful.

An insane/brilliant hardware hacker friend of mine in grad school used
to use peltier effect coolers on top of 68k series chips (with ice
cubes on the hot side) to get them down to -50C or so. He could
overclock them quite a bit indeed at that point :)

This is not, incidently, folklore or friend of friend -- I was
actually a direct witness.

Perry