Subject: Re: /etc/daily and /scratch
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Matthew N. Dodd <winter@jurai.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/1996 08:11:13
If NetBSD can run on high end workstation/server boxes so I can
have an alternative to x86 boxes, and can run on old legacy system
so I can play around I'll be happy.

FreeBSD is moving closer to the Linux horde in this respect and
while I don't mind the new install interface etc, it seems like
there are more and more clueless people that expect everything to
be point-and-click.

Have a good one.

On Thu, 28 Mar 1996, der Mouse wrote:
> > think about things, they just want to click on ``upgrade'' and have
> > their OS come up to 1.3 from 1.2.
> Do we want to be a research system, one aimed at people who don't mind,
> nay, even enjoy, getting their hands dirty grubbing around inside
> kernels and compilers and such?  Do we want to be a "solution", an OS
> aimed at people who have trouble telling the mouse from the keyboard
> and are lucky not to stuff the cdrom into the floppy drive?  Just whom
> _do_ we want to be for?
> I don't know.  I haven't heard any clear direction from core - indeed,
> from anyone - on this matter.  I'd like to know, if anyone can say,
> what the intended target audience for NetBSD is...if only so that I
> know whether I should go my way and let it go its if I'm not part of
> said audience.  Certainly _I_ have no use for a "just click here to
> upgrade" release, and consequently consider time spent specifically
> making life easier for such things time wasted.  So far, at least, what
> little has been done in that direction hasn't directly damaged NetBSD's
> utility for my purposes....
>
> 					der Mouse
>
> 			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|