Subject: Re: Cross-Compiling Environments and Multiple Object Trees
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/1996 12:48:23
>I've currently got some i386s running 1.0 and 1.1, and Sun3s running
>1.1 and -current. There are several things I'd like to be able to
>do here:
>
>1. Cross-compile for the sun3 on my i386 1.0 system.
>
>Presumably this means building as much of the i386 2.7.2 compiler
>as I can under 2.5.4, building the entire i386 2.7.2 compiler, and
>then building the sun3 2.7.2 compiler hosted on the i386 under the
>i386 2.7.2 compiler. Of course, I have to maintain the 2.5.4 compiler
>for work on some production 1.0 systems I have here.
>
>Does anyone know of any documents that would help me out with
>building a cross-compiler and hosting these three compilers on one
>system? Or have any useful tips?

[snip]

On a related note, has anyone ever been able to cross compile,
assemble and link from i386 to sparc???  I got the compiler to work,
but it appears that the gas and ld in the stock GNU binutils would not
generate proper object code or executables.  Should one have to use
the gas and ld in our tree??

thanks,

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org