Subject: Re: void main
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@FunHouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/28/1996 21:49:00
> > I've thought of a C implementation with really wonky but legal
> > constraints would be a great test of portability.
> I agree.  One of my "in my copious spare time" projects is a C
> implementation that goes out of its way to break all the common
> assumptions that nevertheless violate constraints.

I bet you'd detonate a LOT of code just by trying to compile it for one of
those ancient BBN C Machines.  Instruction set tuned for C, with only one
small catch:  10 bit characters.  Didn't last long, and that was an era when
people were USED to characters being "somewhere between 6 and 9 bits, possibly
different on the SAME machine".

I wonder how long it would take to get GNU C running on one?

I wonder if time_t would wrap before it could be accomplished...?