Subject: Re: /etc/daily and /scratch
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/28/1996 18:32:56
>>> That's why you have to go out of your way to install its contents...
>> Not when NetBSD comes on CD-ROM.
> Consider the commercial user of NetBSD.  They don't want to have to
> think about things, they just want to click on ``upgrade'' and have
> their OS come up to 1.3 from 1.2.

Do we really _want_ the point-and-drool market?  I've seen a little of
what happened when Sun started courting the commercial market, and even
for a binary-only vendor OS it sucks.

Do we want to be a research system, one aimed at people who don't mind,
nay, even enjoy, getting their hands dirty grubbing around inside
kernels and compilers and such?  Do we want to be a "solution", an OS
aimed at people who have trouble telling the mouse from the keyboard
and are lucky not to stuff the cdrom into the floppy drive?  Just whom
_do_ we want to be for?

I don't know.  I haven't heard any clear direction from core - indeed,
from anyone - on this matter.  I'd like to know, if anyone can say,
what the intended target audience for NetBSD is...if only so that I
know whether I should go my way and let it go its if I'm not part of
said audience.  Certainly _I_ have no use for a "just click here to
upgrade" release, and consequently consider time spent specifically
making life easier for such things time wasted.  So far, at least, what
little has been done in that direction hasn't directly damaged NetBSD's
utility for my purposes....

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu