Subject: Re: src/domestic/libexec/telnetd
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: Jeff Thieleke <>
List: current-users
Date: 03/28/1996 13:01:45
> > src/domestic/libexec/telnetd/Makefile needs -lcrypt added to its
> > encryption LDADD+, or the domestic telnetd will fail.

> Are you sure about this?  I mean, on the surface it seems perfectly reasonable,
> but I just built the world yesterday (March 26th sup) - without this patch -
> and I can telnet into the machine just fine.

Yep.  With the san -lcrypt linked telnetd installed:
thieleke% telnet localhost
Connected to
Escape character is '^]'.
/usr/libexec/ Undefined symbol "_crypt" in telnetd:/usr/lib/

Connection closed by foreign host.

This is using a system with Mar 26 binaries.  I first noticed this while
telnetting into my NetBSD system from a HP-UX machine, a few weeks ago.
I had forgetten about it, until I saw a similar fix for the domestic
telnet, so I assumed telnetd was fixed as well.

> isolar:1:41 % telnet
> Trying ...
> Connected to
> Escape character is '^]'.
> NetBSD/i386 ( (ttyp3)
> login: root
> Password:
> Last login: Thu Mar 28 05:30:17 from
> Copyright (c) 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994
>         The Regents of the University of California.   All rights reserved.
> Mar 28 05:42:43 scipio login: ROOT LOGIN (root) ON ttyp3 FROM
> NetBSD 1.1B (SCIPIO) #0: Wed Mar 27 04:48:18 PST 1996
> Welcome to NetBSD!

After -lcrypt:

Connected to
Escape character is '^]'.

NetBSD/amiga 1.1B ( (ttyp4)

login: root
root login refused on this terminal.

Which is how it should work, in more ways than one!  :)

Jeff Thieleke