Subject: Cross-Compiling Environments and Multiple Object Trees
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 03/28/1996 12:38:29
I've currently got some i386s running 1.0 and 1.1, and Sun3s running
1.1 and -current. There are several things I'd like to be able to
do here:

1. Cross-compile for the sun3 on my i386 1.0 system.

Presumably this means building as much of the i386 2.7.2 compiler
as I can under 2.5.4, building the entire i386 2.7.2 compiler, and
then building the sun3 2.7.2 compiler hosted on the i386 under the
i386 2.7.2 compiler. Of course, I have to maintain the 2.5.4 compiler
for work on some production 1.0 systems I have here.

Does anyone know of any documents that would help me out with
building a cross-compiler and hosting these three compilers on one
system? Or have any useful tips?

2. Keep multiple object trees on one system.

I'd like also to be able to produce a full current/i386 compile
and current/sun3 compile from the same source tree. The files in
/usr/share/mk seem to have some facilities to help with this, but
they don't seem obvious at first glance. Are these documented
anywhere other than the README in that directory?

3. Keep multiple source and object trees in one system.

It would be nice, at some point, to have all of the three different
versions I use under source code control, with branches for my
modifications to each version, and the like, and the ability to
pull out and compile, using the appropriate compiler for that
version and target host, whichever version I need. However, this
is more of a dream item than something I may be working on in the
near future. I would be interested in comments from anyone doing
this sort of thing already.

Feel free to reply to just me by e-mail if this isn't really an
appropriate topic for this list. I'll be happy to summarise later.

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.