Subject: Re: another 1.1 to 1.1B (i386) upgrade report...
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/1996 15:06:59
On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Most everyone I know in this community either rides the edge of -current
> just because it's fun and they can, or they stick to binary-only
> releases and are often stuck in the dust when it comes to upgrades as
> they feel it's too difficult to bother with building from sources, [...]

I'm in the (un?)fortunate circumstance of actually being in both camps.
I have machines that I tend to ride on the bleeding edge, or at least not
more than a couple weeks out of date; I also have machines that stay at
the released version only.

I don't consider it a big sacrifice to have to download the binary release
to move from version X to version Y... even over my straight V.32 modem at
home.  It takes a few hours, but then, it always has, and is a _lot_
faster than getting and compiling the source.  Note that I avoid local
hacks wherever possible on my production machines, so this method isn't
really a problem.

Please, don't think I'm discouraging work on some sort of build
script/target/document that does an upgrade from an individual release to
the succeeding release.  I just can't see it getting very high up on the
list of priorities of the people who would be expected to look at it.

--scott