Subject: Re: netbsd machines get slow and hang, nfs suspected
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/26/1996 19:57:33
Gordon Ross said:
> Charles Hannum said:
> > It seems to me that a more flexible and less error-prone solution
> > would be to write `real' lock and resource management systems.  These
> > aren't particularly complicated, and they would also help with
> > fine-grain MP locking...
>
> That's true, and it would be nice to have a full muliti-threaded
> kernel implementation too, but I'm not holding my breath.

There were at least some steps in this direction -- perhaps not
exactly the right steps, and certainly not complete -- in Lite2.

I'd like to see Lite2 integrated one day, but I'm not holding my
breath.  8-)

(and no, I don't have any time to pursue doing an integration myself;
the reason i'm not holding my breath is that since Lite2 has been out,
i've never even heard an indication from 'core' that integrating most
of the changes found in it would even be a "good idea.")

chris