Subject: Re: main return...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/26/1996 16:08:25
> Still though, void main in "hosted" (~= userland) programs is SO
> common that the standard might as well be changed to allow it.

Just because a mistake is common doesn't mean it's any less of a
mistake.  One might as well say that code that assumes char is 8 bits,
or long is 32, or long==int, is so common that the standard might as
well be changed to agree.

> Shoot, look at all the quite experienced C programmers who don't know
> it's not allowed!

Look at all the quite experienced C programmers - or more precisely,
people whom the programmer-employment world thinks are experienced C
programmers - who think that near and far are part of the C language.
Shall we put them into the standard too? :-)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu