Subject: Re: /etc/daily and /scratch
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/26/1996 10:38:32
>From: Darren Reed <darrenr@vitruvius.arbld.unimelb.edu.au>
>Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 13:50:16 +1000 (EST)

>I've never known anything before to wipe /scratch, like that.  How was I
>to know I needed to look at this ?  Would I have found it in time, after
>installing my netbsd box and mounting stuff to use it ?

Ditto.  I was unaware of the antisocial behavior of /etc/daily until
it blew away some files that were part of a gcc snapshot I was
examining.  The names of the lost files all started with ','.  I
stripped out the offending code from /etc/daily, but it was
nonetheless a nasty surprise.

IMHO, *All* of the file-cleaning code in /etc/daily (with the possible
exception of the part that cleans {,/var}/tmp) should be disabled by
default.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>