Subject: Re: /etc/daily and /scratch
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@vitruvius.arbld.unimelb.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/25/1996 13:50:16
In some email I received from Chris G Demetriou, sie wrote:
> > what about the other people who this happens to ?  i've been using
> > netbsd for over 2 years now and i wasn't aware of it -- i'd have
> > been extremely pissed off if i didn't realise that netbsd was
> > going to delete things in /scratch and i used it.
>
> Gee, can i give you some random software to put in /etc/daily?
> You say you won't or don't look stuff that people put in /etc/daily?
>
> "why, thank you!"

I notice (from the CVS mail) that something for etc/daily has been changed,
but I haven't looked locally, yet, to see what the change was.  Thanks if
this has already been delt with.

An issue here, is, I believe, how much checking should I have to do to
make sure _my_ setup is safe from NetBSD if I make NetBSD part of my
network ?  Why should it be any more than linux/freebsd ?

I've never known anything before to wipe /scratch, like that.  How was I
to know I needed to look at this ?  Would I have found it in time, after
installing my netbsd box and mounting stuff to use it ?  We, the users,
have to trust in the gods of NetBSD (`core') to create a safe package for
us to install and use.  Far be it for us to have the time or expertise
to check everything, I'd have no idea where to start, never mind finish!
I might have the expertise, but if I do, I _definately_ don't have the
time!

Interestingly, the FreeBSD team has not only removed that find, but also
comments out the one which searches for cores.  (I've not had either BSD
booted since this arguement began in full to grab this).

darren

p.s. should we have "handle with care" or "DANGER: TOXIC CONTENTS" labels
     on the CD-ROMs which get pressed with NetBSD ? :-)