Subject: Re: Advice wanted from Sun users please (fwd)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthew W Hacker <hacker@optics.rochester.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/25/1996 00:45:10
>    From: Davyd Norris <Davyd.Norris@fcollins.com.au>
>    Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 11:52:38 +-1000
>
>    1.  Hardware.  I have heard that these things run about as fast as a fast
>    486 - true?
>
> Uh, I don't think so -- more like a 386.  As I recall, the 3/60 is about half
> the speed of a Sparcstation 1, which in turn is roughly equivalent to a
> 486/25.
>
> -- Scott

Sun3/60 are indeed slow.  But they work nicely as X display servers.
And they handling clock chipping quite nicely! :-)

I just up graded mine from 20 MHz to 25 Mhz.  Now I need to find
a 30 MHz clock and try that...

-matthew

:)  Sorry, but I just had to share.  Clock chipping out machines
    is pretty neat.

If anyone is interestested in the procedure email me and I'll write something
up.  I believe someone has sone a web site on it as well.  You do have to
know how to use a soldering iron pretty well is all.