Subject: Re: /etc/daily and /scratch
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@FunHouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/23/1996 10:20:38
> I prefer to think of /scratch not being backed up but persisting across
> reboots.  Most other sites I know of which support a "/scratch" have used
> this philosophy.
>As far as I'm concerned, NetBSD should _NOT_ have touched it.

"I prefer to think of /bin as being a bin where I can throw random stuff.
NetBSD should _NOT_ be trying to find programs there!"  (Hmm, would /usr/bin
be where I throw random users?)

If NetBSD *is* going to scratch the stuff in /scratch, it should probably be
documented somewhere -- but who reads documentation, anyway?

Personally, I've always used "/stuff" for persistent "stuff", and see no
semantic trouble in treating a /scratch partition like a "scratch tape"...