Subject: Re: main return...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <>
List: current-users
Date: 03/23/1996 08:52:54
Thus spake Peter Seebach
> I'd rather not have it *reject* void main, because so much code uses it,
> and some users won't know what to do if "configure; make" doesn't work.

Sure they will.  They'll throw it away and try something else.  If the
program declares main as void would you really trust the rest of it?

> On the other hand, with the default -Werror we now use, it will reject
> it.  Yay!

I have occasionally seen net source that passes "-Wall -Werror" but so
far nothing has passed this;

CFLAGS = -ansi -Wall -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings \
         -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -funsigned-char \
         -Dscanf=DONT_USE_SCANF -Dgets=DONT_USE_GETS -Werror

D'Arcy J.M. Cain                           |  Democracy is three wolves
darcy@{||}          |  and a sheep voting on
+1 416 943 5281     (DoD#0082)    (eNTP)   |  what's for dinner.
    --  Home:      Work:  --