Subject: Re: sharing drivers (was re: m68k comman...)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Antti Miettinen <apm@vipunen.hut.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 03/23/1996 12:52:30
>If you do it at compile-time, it becomes harder to share code, e.g.
>if you have an ISA (io-mapped) 8390 (ethernet NIC) in an amiga, and a
>'native' memory-mapped 8390, and you can only compile your common
>driver for one at a time, what do you do?

Ah - now I get it. I think I'd settle for two instances of the "common
driver". Even if part of the source is shared but results in two
different object modules, the sharing is a good thing when you
consider maintenance of the driver.

But before the ISA if_ed can be used for example with GoldenGateII in
an Amiga, the interrupt priority issues need to be addressed. I
haven't had time to upgrade my sources (and won't have before summer)
so I don't know whether something has been done in this area. Niklas
has committed his interrupt priority remapping code to OpenBSD. What
about NetBSD?