Subject: Lousy TCP performance with PPP & RFC1323 options
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 03/22/1996 11:32:07
For a while now, I've noticed that when I go to certain systems (mainly our
CMOST systems and SGI boxes) from my home machine, I get really lousy
interactive performance.  By "lousy" I mean that it seems that every return
packet is delayed by 0.5 - 1 seconds per packet, thus giving a login
session a very choppy feel.

When I use a friend's NetBSD box on our network at work, this problem
does not appear, even though the same IP options are negotiated.

Turning off RFC1323 options fixes the problem.  This is an easy enough
fix, but I'm curious as to what's going on.  My best guess is that the
timestamp calculation is trying to do some network pacing, and is doing
a really bad job of it.

Anyone have any ideas?

--Ken