Subject: Re: PPP - address already in use
To: None <D.Carosone@abm.com.AU>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1996 00:35:10
>> Actually the problem I have time to time is that my machine on campus
>> keeps getting hit by RIP from the subnet router, a machine I have no
>> control over.

>do you need to be listening to RIP for any reason (such as your local
>ethernet has other connections you want to use?)  If not, don't run
>routed.

>If you do need routed, or even if you don't, grab ip-filter (see
>http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon) and block incoming RIP packets on
>the PPP interface, and take the opportunity to block a few more
>undesirable things as well.

No, that's not what I mean .. the machine on campus gets RIP packets from
ITS router in the building (on ethernet), telling it where it thinks my
machine at home should be. When the machine at work is forced to admit
that the ppp interface is down, it adds a route to the table saying the
home box is on ep0 rather than ppp0, and it won't go away.

And I'm not running the Evil RouteD.

Could ip-filter be used to block RIP on my ethernet device on campus?
I'm not familiar with it.

Cheers,
Phil
--
Phillip F Knaack               flipk@iastate.edu
Database Programmer, NCREMP    Student Development Group