Subject: Re: Advice wanted from Sun users please
To: Aaron Brown <abrown@eecs.harvard.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/1996 21:17:59
[ I must have overlooked this original message ... --thorpej ]

On Tue, 19 Mar 1996 22:58:33 -0500
 Aaron Brown <abrown@eecs.harvard.edu> wrote:

 > > I have just been given four Sun 3/60 boxes sans disks and RAM, but with nice
 > > 24 bit graphics cards and 19"monitors.
 >
 > I'll let someone else comment on the other issues (briefly: your best bet
 > is a network install, if possible), but I'm afraid you might be out of
 > luck with the 24-bit framebuffers; as far as I know there is only support
 > for 1 and 8-bit sun framebuffers. There's some work going on to get the 24-bit
 > SunSX (cg14) graphics working on the Sun4m, but I doubt that that is the
 > kind of graphics you have...

If he's got a 24-bit graphics card for a sun3/60, it's probably going to
be a P4 cgeight.  NetBSD/sparc has an expirimental driver for this, but
it's not well tested.

It would probably be "easy" to port the P4 stuff I did to the sun3 port,
and that would enable you to use (read: debug :-) the cgeight driver :-)