Subject: PPP - address already in use
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@teeri.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/1996 19:37:19
Hiya,

I often see this in syslog:

Mar 19 08:23:41 muikku pppd[23397]: remote IP address 193.185.236.55
Mar 19 08:23:41 muikku pppd[23397]: ioctl(SIOCAIFADDR): Address already exists
Mar 19 08:23:41 muikku pppd[23397]: add proxy arp entry: File exists

This happens when the previous route to the PPP address hasn't been deleted
before a new connection is initiated.  The old route remains alive for long
periods of time if there is some machine in Internet sending packets to the
PPP address after the connection is terminated (my WWW cache did this today
and the use couldn't restart PPP again because of the "address already
exists" error).

I was going to add 'arp -d' in /etc/ppp/ip-up to delete the old route before
PPP starts, but I noticed that the script is run _after_ the new PPP link
is established, not _before_.

Is anyone else seeing this problem?  If so, is there any simple fix to the
problem?  Maybe a new option to pppd to delete the old route, if one exists?

Thanks in advance,

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---