Subject: Re: panic: ptdi %x
To: None <,>
From: Julian Bean <>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/1996 23:28:36
At 11:42 pm 16/3/96, wrote:
>4) Having the kernel know what boot kernel image was used. How does
>OSF/1 do this? How about pass the name into the kernel as an arg on
>bootup (by the loader)? Then pass that name to libkvm. Then how do you
>deal with /dev/reload? Not 100% surefire, but it's an idea?

I might be way off-base here, but would it make sense to have the kernel
image accessible from /kern/image (for example)?

The only question then is how to pass the image to mount_kernfs....

Presumably this is in aid of programs like ps and so forth not being
hard-wired to /netbsd...

(I would have carried this discussion to tech-kern, except I don't read it ;-(

|  Jelibean aka  |           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |(|  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The Other Place - n. (pop.) Depending on the affiliation of the     |
|  speaker, one of Oxford, Cambridge, The House of Lords, The House of |
|  Commons, Hell.  Draw your own conclusions.                          |