Subject: Re: m68k comman part (was Re: mips ports ...)
To: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@plexus.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/1996 16:21:20
On Mon, 18 Mar 1996, Guenther Grau wrote:

> I agree qith you that some parts are shared between the ports, but there
> are a lot more things which the ports have in common, for example some
> of the device drivers.

As someone who has done some of this sort of work, I'm sorry to say that
most mac68k device drivers aren't going to be able to be shared.  The
hardware interface is, um, "different," and you have to change some of
your assumptions at a very fundamental level.

The `sbc' driver in the mac68k port uses the MI 5380 code in /sys/dev/ic,
but as it currently doesn't support as many devices as currently work
with the `ncrscsi' driver and it's slower, it is not a reasonable choice
for the GENERIC kernels.  In fact, I'm strongly encouraging that people
use it only for experimental purposes. :-)

Other than the SCSI driver, though, I'm having a hard time thinking of
what common driver code the mac68k port might be sharing with the
others...

--scott