Subject: Trouble with a QIC-Wide drive
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@FunHouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/1996 23:22:53
I have a Conner CTMS 3200 (2GB QIC-Wide tape drive) which appears not to work
under NetBSD.  I can apparently write data to the tape, but trying to read it
hangs the drive.  The drive works on a Macintosh, but interestingly enough,
if I attempt to use a tape that I've written on UNIX with the Macintosh, *it*
appears to hang when reading the tape.  (I'm using the Retrospect backup
program, which reads the tape to figure out which irreplacable backup you're
about to overwrite. ;-)  These are preformatted media; could it be that a
bizarro write command is necessary to preserve the formatting?

Is anyone else using this drive with NetBSD or another form of source-available
UNIX?  Is anyone using one of these at all?  Is the drive just subtly broken,
or is NetBSD enraging it somehow?