Subject: Re: pica port
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@milkyway.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/1996 15:28:56
On Sat, 16 Mar 1996 16:17:37 -0500
 Michael Richardson <mcr@milkyway.com> wrote:

 >   What is this port? Is this SGI? If so, what model.
 >   There is no info on this port mentioned in the web pages..

No, the pica is a MIPS-based system that used to be produced by Acer.  I
don't think they're making it anymore.

It's good to have in the tree for several reasons:

	a) It's Yet Another Port.  (Someday, we'll RULE THE WORLD! :-)

	b) The Pica had an R4000-type CPU.  There are at least a
	   couple of DECstations and several SGI and MipsCo machines
	   that have an R4000 or variant thereof.

 >   If it *is* SGI... then you may have another victim :-)

Yah, there has been some talk about mustering up a port to some SGI
platform...The hardware in them is fairly run-of-the-mill, with the
exception of the graphics stuff and maybe some DMA foo.  They have 33c93
SCSI controllers, Zilog 8530 serial chips, etc.  We have drivers for most
of the hardware in an SGI Indigo in the tree already.